Happy New Year!
January is perfect for setting resolutions, reflecting on the past, and figuring out what has worked and what needs to change. This will lead to healthy habits and lifestyle and greatly benefits your overall well-being. There are even remodeling resolutions you can set to help keep your others on track.
Your Colorado home is your greatest investment. Decisions you make this year can help save and even earn you money down the road. Take a look below for 9 easy upgrades for a healthier home in 2023:
Resolution: Get More Organized
Whether you want to tidy up a closet or overhaul your whole house, planning is key when it comes to staying organized. After you audit your space, consider creating new storage solutions – like new cabinets, shelving, kitchen islands, etc. – and whether your needs can be DIY or you need the assistance of professional contractors.
Ready for a remodel so that all your belongings have a home? Give us a call at 303-833-4715. Remember, once you’ve gotten organized, maintenance is key. Create a plan for regular cleaning.
Resolution: Save Money/Build Wealth
Owning a home allows you to build equity versus paying rent, which helps to reach your money-saving goals. There are plenty of home improvement projects that can add value to your home, especially additions (like a new bedroom, new bathroom, renovated basement, new pool, etc.). According to Remodeling Magazine, the top three improvements that net the highest return on investment are a garage door replacement (93.8% cost recouped), manufactured stone veneer (92.1%), and a minor kitchen remodel (72.2%).
Other ways your home can help you save:
- Refinance your mortgage for a better rate (make sure savings outweigh the cost).
- Shop around for better insurance rates. Being underinsured can be just as costly or more as paying too much for insurance.
- Take your annual write-off (property tax and interest.)
- Spruce up your curb appeal to improve ROI.
Resolution: Cut Down Energy Use (*Also saves money!)
Save money immediately by making energy-efficient tweaks to your home. From switching to LED lighting to replacing windows to installing solar panels – there are countless ways to reduce your footprint. Start small or invest for greater savings.
According to the Department of Energy, “widespread use of LED lighting has the greatest potential impact on energy savings in the United States.”
Resolution: Live Healthier
This one’s a biggie. With countless research showing that more than 50% of accidents happen in the household, home improvements can greatly improve your health and quality of life at home. Start by:
- Investing in good air quality – As great as fresh air is, you can’t leave your windows open all the time, especially in winter. Change your filters, use an air purifier, and don’t forget to dust!
- Removing toxic building materials – common toxins include formaldehyde, benzyl benzoate, lead, and parabens.
- Replacing toxic cookware.
- Considering smart home technology.
- Adding some plants!
For an in-depth look at projects that can improve your daily life and provide security for years to come, read our blog, “Aging in Place: Growing With Your Home.”
Resolution: Cook More and Eat Better
A well-designed kitchen is the main ingredient to healthier eating! There is research to support that homeowners who have recently remodeled their kitchens are happier to prepare their meals at home, which in turn drives a healthier lifestyle.
The best kitchen upgrades for healthier eating include creating efficient layouts, installing a range vent hood, installing water filters, and investing in appliances that make healthy eating easier.
Not only will kitchen improvements make food prep easier, but it also helps declutter, provides more storage, and creates more space for family time.
Take a look at our gallery of kitchen remodels for inspiration, and give us a call at 303-833-4715 when you’re ready for your free consultation.
Remember to set up a temporary kitchen so you can keep your healthy eating goals during the remodeling process. Read our blog, “5 Things To Know Before Starting A Home Remodel,” for more tips.
Resolution: Make Joy a Priority
This is YOUR YEAR. Implement the changes you’ve wanted at home.
- Lift your spirits with bright colors -Treat yourself to new art and decor.
- Do what you love – Do you have a hobby that makes you happy? Stick with it! Create a dedicated hobby area for you and your family so you can devote more time to developing the skills that are important to you.
- Create a home spa – If you’re interested in a bigger renovation project, consider a sauna or steam bath build. Saunas and steam baths have proven health benefits, including reducing stress, easing pain, improving blood circulation, and asthma relief, among others. Take a look at our blogs on bathroom renovations for inspiration.
Resolution: More Family Dinners
Gathering for meals is one of the best ways for a family to stay connected. A kitchen/dining room upgrade will make it easier to enjoy meals together regularly.
Take a look at our gallery for inspiration, and get in touch when you’re ready for your free consultation.
Resolution: Spend More Time Outdoors
Spending more time outdoors can improve health by relieving stress, elevating mood, and even lowering blood pressure. Help keep this new year’s resolution by upgrading your outdoor space. Consider starting a garden, building a deck, or adding an outdoor kitchen to make your outdoor space more enticing.
View our work for inspiration:
- 10 Deck Remodel Do’s & Don’ts for Success
- How an Outdoor Kitchen Can Benefit Your Denver Home
- Outdoor Living At Its Finest
- 4 Design Ideas for Your Outdoor Kitchen
Resolution: Plan Ahead for Next Year
Not ready for a full remodel in 2023? Take small steps now and start planning for 2024!
Our overall health and well-being are the keys to long and happy lives. Because we spend a lot of time in our homes, it is important that those spaces reflect our health goals. If any of these resolutions interest you, contact Christie’s Design Build Remodeling at 303-833-4715 or complete our contact form online to get started.
Here’s to a great year ahead!