As we quickly approach warmer weather, it’s time to start thinking about your best Outdoor Living situation.
Does your backyard need a facelift? Do you have the room for a new deck but don’t quite know where to start? Investing in your outdoor space can truly enhance your life at home. When you’re getting ready to spend your hard-earned money on the backyard of your home we know that you expect quality construction and a return on your investment. Whether you have some designs in mind already or if you’ve been searching the internet for inspiration, we know there are many things to consider. Not to worry, we are your outdoor living professionals and we’ve put together a list of considerations and guidelines to help you create the best outdoor space for you and your family.
Quality outdoor living can be achieved in a multitude of ways. Your project could be a complete overhaul of your backyard space or the simple addition of a pergola. No matter the size of your project, there are some very important things to keep in mind. Here’s a short list of considerations that the team of professionals at Christie’s put together for the best outcome of your next project.
- Budget – The most important consideration is your budget. Do you have the funds available for an outdoor remodel? If so, what size will your project be? Having a trusted and talented remodeling team is very important to ensure that you get the most bang for your buck, no matter how many bucks you have. Your remodel team can help you assess your space and figure out the best way to address your project within your set budget.
- Space – The second most important consideration before getting started on a project is the actual physical space you have to work with. Do you have a very small back yard or a large space? The proximity and actual square footage of your back yard will determine where to begin the project. Once you have decided how much space you have to work with, your remodeling team can begin to mock up the design.
- Timeline – This one is a biggie. Right now in the US the availability of building materials is low. Which, of course, means that the cost of the materials is going up progressively day-by-day. While it is important not to rush on the actual building process, it’s still vital to understand just how long your remodel will take from start to finish. At Christie’s Design Build, we are committed to giving you a realistic timeline and offer you a price lock-in for 30 days once you have signed. What does that mean? Plan ahead and strike now for the best prices and a spot in line for your upcoming project.
- ROI – The ROI (Return On Investment) for remodeling your outside space can be quite lucrative. The highest ROI comes form things that are permanent and can age with the home. Because a deck adds a great deal of value to the home, the ROI for building a brand new deck can be upwards of 100%. An even better investment would be to refurbish an existing patio which can bring up to a 500% ROI for your home’s value. In the same vein, an outdoor kitchen, while being a somewhat large investment, can add a great deal of value to your home, especially in areas with warmer weather.
Now with all of the logistics out of the way, let’s talk about the fun stuff. What can you do with the space you have? What are your goals for outdoor living? No need to rely on guesswork. With our team of specialists in your back pocket, we can help you analyze your current space and plan out what the end result will be. So let’s daydream a bit, shall we?
- Deck/Patio – As stated before, whether you are just updating a current deck or building a new one, a deck is a huge asset for a home. A deck not only brings up the value of your home but it also enhances your quality of life by providing a place where you and your family can embrace all of the benefits of outdoor living. A deck means meals outside and entertaining al fresco. Can you say Sunday brunch on the deck? Yes please!
- Outdoor Kitchen – Taking outdoor dining up a notch, adding an outdoor kitchen really sweenes the pot! Imagine being able to cook a meal from start to finish out in the fresh air. Your outdoor kitchen can be as simple or extravagant as your budget allows. No matter what, though, having a post to keep the entertainment outside is sure to make your home THE place to be!
- Fire Pit – Outdoor Living isn’t just about the warm months. Installing a fire pit not only extends outside times in the summer but it allows you to have the same, amazing times outside well into the fall. Picture sitting next to your warm firepit on a crisp fall evening, a cup of hot cider in hand. Sounds pretty enticing, right?
- Pergola/Trellis – Something as simple as adding a trellis and/or a pergola to your deck can add a huge amount of shade, color and warmth for your outdoor space. With the proper flora growth, a pergola can create a shady space that still lets in that little bit of natural light. Even better if you grow something like morning glory that bloom every morning to greet you with your morning coffee!
- Pavers – Using paving stones of various shapes, colors and sizes can create the flow of your backyard. They can create paths as well as bring color and lightness to the landscape. There are so many colors and shapes to choose from. You could go the simple and elegant route of using the same size and color throughout. Or you could use the stone to create something not only utilitarian but also as a statement piece. Either way, stone can help pull the whole yard together, from deck to playground.
- Entertainment space – If we’re dreaming big, why not throw in an outdoor theater while we’re at it? There are multiple routes to take when creating a viewing spot in your backyard. You could utilize a blank wall to project a movie onto. You could also build a TV right into the outside structure. As with any project, you can get as high tech or DIY as you like. No matter what, screening your favorite movies in your backyard oasis is sure to bring all of the neighbors over to movie night! You better start popping that popcorn!
Thanks for staying for a little daydreaming session. Is it just us or are you craving a fresh lemonade and a burger now? As you can see, with the proper planning and considerations taken to heart in the beginning, you can have Outdoor Living at it’s Finest! Whether you are getting very creative with a limited budget/space or if you are walking in with big plans and the means to make them happen, you can count on Christie’s to make your backyard fantasies come to life!