Starting a home remodeling project can be intimidating. Many people end up with one question – where do I start? It’s a question we know how to answer. We have helped countless people through their home remodeling projects, and are ready to answer all of your questions! Below are some of the top questions we get asked at Christie’s Design/Build Remodeling when starting a project.
Are you licensed and insured?
- First and foremost, YES! Now, you may be thinking this is an obvious question, but it is not. Did you know to be a general contractor in the State of Colorado, you do not need a license at the state level? Now, at the local level, this is a bit different; however, you never know who is working without one. Whether you work with Christie’s Design/Build Remodeling in the Northern Front Range of Colorado or not, it’s always great to double-check that your contractor is licensed in the City or County you live in and if they are, they are sure to have insurance as a contractor cannot get licensed without the proper insurance certificate..
What is the investment we should prepare for?
- What a tough question! Every project is different when it comes down to the final product selections, layout, and city/county requirements and codes. At Christie’s Design/Build Remodeling, we like to ask as many questions as needed in our initial consultation. Whether you are embarrassed by the outdated look and impractical layout, or you are looking to change the overall flow of your home, we find that understanding your “why” can help define the investment. From there, we define your needs and develop a plan to achieve the most out of your investment. Some initial questions we ask homeowners are:
- What part of your home are you looking to remodel? (kitchen, bathroom, basement, etc.)
- What do you not like about your current space?
- What is your budget?
- What is your favorite design style?
- What type of appliances do you like?
Check out our blog on the 5 Things to Know Before Starting a Home Remodel to help start the process!
What does your process of pre-construction look like?
- First and foremost, the process starts with you! We always suggest you do your research. Look into contractors in your area, research the remodeling projects you are interested in, and look at the portfolio of the contractors around you to find the best one. Then, reach out!
From here, we typically always start with an initial 15-20 minute phone or Zoom consultation with our Project Development Coordinator, Alyssa. It is in this meeting where we ask our questions, and you ask yours. Essentially, it’s an interview for both of us. You get reassurance in our company, and we get a better understanding of your needs.
If we both see a great fit, we will then schedule our at-home, 1-hour consultation where we can get a little more nitty gritty. We will work through your thoughts, and Alyssa will have even more questions to ensure we cross all the t’s and dot all of the i’s.
Once we have all of our questions answered and information needed, we will start the planning and budgeting phase. This phase will provide all of the detailed plans, estimates on all aspects of the job, and timeframes for moving into the build-out phase. However, it’s always great to add that you are not required to move forward with the buildout phase. We understand that plans change, and things can shift gears quickly. If your plans change or you decide to go in a different direction, this is the perfect time to do so.
Do you have references?
- We have lists, we have reviews, and we have portfolio projects galore. You can see most of our work on our website and reviews on Houzz and Google. Looking for something more specific? Contact us, and we can send you whatever you would like to see!
What is your service area?
- Christie’s Design/Build Remodeling is your solution to all remodeling needs in Northern Colorado. From North Denver to Fort Collins and Boulder to Hudson, our coverage area is large. Check out the map below, and if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us!
How many projects have you completed?
- So many! The team at Christie’s Design/Build Remodeling has been in the game for over 25 years, remodeling countless homes in Northern Colorado. We have seen hundreds of remodeling projects, whether a whole home remodel or a simple powder room refresh.
What’s your daily routine?
- What a loaded question! In remodeling, there are no typical daily routines. Some days, there will be a ton of foot traffic and other days there may be none at all. In our industry, we are at the mercy of shipment delays, permitting deadlines, or unexpected surprises once you open up the walls; however, we try to mitigate that as much as possible. At the beginning of every project, we put together an estimated timeline, and we do our best to stick to that. However, with every job, there is the unknown, and it is up to us to keep you up-to-date on all timeline changes.
How long will the construction process take?
- Another great one that is hard to answer! Whenever we start a project, our goal is to finish right on time, however, it’s not always possible. With so many reasons a remodel can get delayed, it should be no surprise that it does happen. But there are a few things to remember as you think about your remodel.
- 1. The bigger the project, the longer it will take.
- 2. The average remodel of a kitchen typically lasts around 12-24 weeks. Roughly the first 4-9 weeks will be spent ordering products, sourcing materials, and obtaining permits. The following 4-12+ weeks will be the construction phase.
- 3. When starting a remodel, your mind will start racing with additional ideas. Once you start adding additional projects to the list, remember you are also adding extra time to the timeline.
Will you clean the space at the end of every day?
- A construction site can be quite chaotic, but we understand the significance of maintaining decorum in your personal space. Our team is well-trained to be considerate of your living space and surroundings. Whether you are residing in the house during the remodeling process or not, we take measures to minimize the spread of dust and debris by sectioning off the work area. Moreover, we ensure that we clean up our work areas before leaving for the day so you can relax in a clean environment.
Tell me more about your team. Who will I be working with? Do you hire subcontractors?
- At Christie’s Design/Build Remodeling we work with a select group of subcontractors that we have vetted and worked with on countless projects. Our project managers make sure to stay on top of our subcontractors to ensure quality work.
How do you ensure project costs? Should we expect a lot of additional costs?
- Your budget is always top of mind. In our planning phase we do our best to accomplish everything we need to with a little extra wiggle room in case there are any surprises. However, if something does come up that is unexpected and exceeds the cost, we will communicate everything to you before we proceed.
What sets you apart from your competitors?
- Our integrity! Our team of experienced contractors have been providing Colorado homeowners with high-quality remodeling services for over 25 years, and we have no intention of stopping anytime soon. When you decide to hire our team of professional remodelers, you can rest assured that you will get the same incredible service, whether your project is a minor renovation or something more complicated, like a new room addition. Our team of professionals works with you directly throughout each phase of your project, from the initial design and budgeting to the finished build.
Whatever the question may be, our team of professional contractors at Christie’s Design/Build Remodeling are here to help you throughout your remodeling project. Have a question you don’t see answered here? Contact us today!