So you’re ready to make some changes in your home but your funds and time are low? Not to worry though, it’s easy to make a significant impact with a few minor changes around your house. The impact will show in the design of your home, but sometimes these “Mini Renovations” can even lead to a significant ROI (return on investment)! As remodel and renovation pros, our team at Christie’s Design Build has 20+ years of experience helping homeowners create their dream homes, even on a budget.
So, where do you even start with your home? First, it’s essential to figure out a budget and available time. Then you can more easily plan for one or more projects down the road. To help get you inspired, we put together our top 9 mini renovations.
- Sometimes All You Need Is A Fresh Coat Of Paint. Probably the easiest and cheapest way to elevate the look of any room in your home is to change the color of the walls. Who doesn’t love a “Painting Party” where you invite your friends/family, end up paint EVERYWHERE, share lots of laughs and finish with an entirely new room?!
- Front Of The House Facelift. They say the first impression is the most important, so why not start with the very first place you and your guests see when you approach the home. Minor upgrades of things like address numbers, porch light, front door, and garage door(s) make such a big difference for your home’s curb appeal. For an easy, DIY upgrade, you can paint the front door to add a splash of color to your home entrance. If you’ve got a green thumb, finish this transformation with a few plants for an inviting and fresh touch.
- Never Underestimate What Good Lighting Can Do. Replacing a light fixture can COMPLETELY change the look of a room. Adding a statement light fixture, like the one over the dining room table, can genuinely enhance your design by adding an essential element that adds character to your space. Your entryway is also an excellent place for a statement fixture, as it greets you and your guests as they walk in the door. And let’s not forget the importance of the actual bulbs you are using throughout your house. The warmth of the light can impact the vibe of a room more than you realize. Be sure to choose a bulb between 2500-3500 lumens for lighting that enhances not only your space but it will also make YOU look better!
- Inside And Out, Curtains, Shudders, And Blinds Showoff! Often forgotten, window treatments can add more to your room design than you might think. If you think of the windows in your house kind of like eyes, the blinds, shudders, and curtains act as accessories. Looking from the outside in or the inside out, you should consider your window treatments. Besides providing privacy when you need it, these window treatments can also display some of your personality and style.
- Fixtures Can Fix It! Updating something as simple as your kitchen faucet can improve both the function and flair of your kitchen! The same goes for all futures in your homes, such as door handles, light switch plates, bathroom faucets, and drawer pulls. Each of these has the potential to elevate the look of your home in an inexpensive and relatively easy way.
- Cabinets – More Than Just A Place to Keep Your Stuff. This is one of the larger mini renovations we added to this list, but we kept it because replacing cabinets is something that can be done in stages that fit your budget and timeline. That said, you can take your kitchen from “Meh” to “Magnificent” without touching anything else in the space. Changing out your cabinets is a great starting place if you plan to keep renovating down the line because it gives you the most bang-for-your-buck in terms of the look of the room.
- Got a Fireplace? Make it Better! A fireplace is one of those amenities that can make your home stand out from the others. Taking your mantel to the next level is an upgrade that guarantees not only RIO but also that “Wow” factor in the overall design. There are hundreds of possibilities for materials, colors, and finishes so that you can be sure that your fireplace fits the rest of the home design.
- Make a Splash with your Backsplash! One of the most underutilized design elements in a kitchen is the backsplash. You can bring your personality and some pizzaz to your existing kitchen with a relatively easy installation. Your backsplash can be stone, tile, or even decorative resin and can be as flashy or fancy as your heart desires! This is one the most approachable, easy, and affordable mini renovations!
- Add in a Window for More Sunlight & More Fresh Air! Do you have one of those rooms in your house that just doesn’t get enough light? You can transform that dreary space by adding a window (or two!) to just about any wall of your house to give the room more natural light and a more open feel. Plus, your plants will thrive with all of that newfound sunlight! Please note that, for the structural integrity of your walls, this is one of the mini renovations we suggest getting a team of professionals involved.
Of course, these projects require varying degrees of skill and knowledge. Some are super easy and require very little equipment or experience, like painting or switching out drawer handles. At the same time, projects like renovating your fireplace or replacing all of your cabinets will be more successful and cost-efficient with the help of professionals who are experienced in those areas and can get you the best prices on materials. Our incredibly skilled and talented team at Christie’s Design Build can help you with those more significant projects in those cases. BONUS! We offer a 30-day, hold on your project quoted price, do give us a call today, and let’s get your Mini Renovation started!