In our experience, most homeowners planning a renovation of their home include a bathroom remodel in their plans. Not only does a fresh bathroom remodel allow you to customize the space to the needs of you and your family, but it also can increase the value of your home. On average, you can expect a Return On Investment (ROI) of up to 70% on your bathroom remodeling project! If you’re going to put the time, money, and energy into your dream bathroom, it’s time to think about the bathtub you chose.
If your bathroom remodel will include a new bathtub, many decisions must be made. But before we get to the actual bathtub types, let’s talk about a few factors that should be weighed when choosing your bathing receptacle.
- Experience and Budget – It’s important to ask yourself what kind of experience you want to have in your new bathtub. Are you a long soaker? Or are you the get-in and get-it-done type? How important is the aesthetic of the bathtub to you? These things will determine depth, placement, materials, and, ultimately, price.
- Size and Shape – The shape and size of your new bathtub largely depend on your space and budget. Because bathtubs can be highly customized, it is essential to be clear on your priorities for the finished product. If you are tall and love to soak when you’re taking a bath, you want to be sure your new bathtub allows you to stretch out and relax.
- Material – With many options to choose from in bathtub materials, it is important to consider what you want the tub to look like and how heavy it will be once filled with you and your bubble bath. Ask questions like, how long will your perfect bathtub last before chipping or cracking? Do you want a rectangle, oval, or triangle-shaped bathtub? Acrylic or fiberglass are lightweight options, whereas a cast iron or steel/porcelain bathtub will be much heavier but more durable, long-term.
Now that we’ve covered some of the details, let’s get to the fun part, picking out the bathtub! This list outlines the basic types of tubs, but there are many ways to customize your bathtub for your bathroom remodel. You can add on jets, custom fixtures, lighting, and more!
- Alcove Bathtub – We’ve all seen or have one of these bathtubs. Sometimes they are called bathroom/shower combination tubs, and they consist of the bathtub surrounded by three walls with the fourth wall open to step in. If you are working with a strict budget or want to upgrade an existing tub, this may be the best choice for you. Your team of professionals can retrofit your tub with a bath wrap made of lightweight, waterproof materials without gutting your bathroom. Of course, you can always utilize fixtures and tile details to bring in your syles without the heavy price tag.
- Stand Alone Bathtub – This freestanding bathtub is trendy and stylish. Stand Alone Tubs can be clawfoot or flat bottom, depending on the design in your bathroom remodel. These luxurious bathtubs provide a perfect space for soaking.
- Walk-In Bathtub – With a waterproof sealed door on one side of this tub, exit, and entry is made much more accessible. A walk-in tub is an excellent option for an aging-in-place, or special needs remodel where elderly and physically challenged folks are involved.
- Soaking Bathtub – This is the bathtub you see in the movies. With deeper basins of many shapes and sizes, a soaking tub allows you to be fully submerged in your “Me Time” bubble bath. A soaking tub is an excellent option for your next bathroom remodel with both form and function.
- Corner Bathtub – Installing a bathtub in the corner saves space in your bathroom while giving generous room to relax. With the most significant water capacity of all tub types, this is also the perfect tub to share with a sweetie and some champagne. Add in a few jets, and you’ve got a personal jacuzzi!
- Platform Bathtub – Otherwise known as a drop-in tub, this bathtub’s bottom rim is flush to the platform it’s been mounted on. If you have the space to work with, a platform bathtub comes in various colors, shapes, sizes, and materials to perfectly align with the design of your space and elevate your bathroom remodel to the next level.
As mentioned, there are endless customization options available for your bathroom remodel. You can truly create exactly what you need and want, from rain showerheads to whirlpool jets. Our designers at Christie’s Design/Build Remodel take the time to understand and stick to your vision and your budget to make your bathroom dreams come true. Give us a call today! 303.833.4715